Monday, February 8, 2010

Deciphering the Labels - Finding out what we're really eating!

I cleaned out my pantry and refrigerator today. As I was going through everything, deciding what to keep and what to purge, I pulled couple of items out of my pantry and am going to learn what the ingredients really mean that are in these items. They are all sitting to the left of my keyboard waiting to be dissected. Item #1 Bread Crumbs - regular Giant Brand Bread Crumbs that we use a lot to make meatballs, chicken parm, breaded fish...it has enriched flour - Which is not good for you at all - it is white flour that has lost all the essential nutrients because they are destroyed through the flour making process - so the nutrients are then added back in - but not even a gram's worth, the FDA requires the nutrients like niacin, folic acid, riboflavin, thiamin (all the good stuff) to be added back it - but not enough - Why are we buying this product that is ripped of all it's nutrients for a longer shelf life? The bran and the germ (the parts of the wheat that contain the essential vitamin and minerals) are destroyed. The flour is made to be fine and is absorbed fast , flooding the blood stream with sugar that your body can't digest it so your body will store the excess as fat. It will cause spikes and drops in your blood-sugar level and can cause obesity and type two diabetes. There is enriched flour in almost everything you will pull out of your pantry! Without the bran and germ you are basically left with starch which is bad for us but great for a long shelf life. Even bugs cannot survive in it - they will die if they only eat refined flour. Why am I feeding this to my kids? Wonder why they are overweight at 9 and 11!

We need to look for items that say "whole grain" and only "whole grains" not a list after it that says "wheat flour, enriched flour, multi-grain flour, semolina flour, durum flour, unbleached flour, bleached flour - those are all refined flours. Look for 100% whole grain.
Products that contain cereal grains such as maranth, barley, buckwheat, bulgur, corn (including pop corn), millet, quinoa, rice, rye, oates, sorghum, teff, tritiale, wheat and wild rice are considered whole grain. Whole grains contain the whole or entire grain kernel, including the bran, germ and endosperm.

Wow, that was only the first ingredient in the bread crumbs that I randomly pulled out of my pantry, but also the first ingredient in the Cheez-its, Boboli shells, Potato rolls, even my Wegman's Honey Apple Oat bread and the Barilla Plus Angel Hair Pasta that is labeled Multi-grain Pasta - it listed durum flour, and then listed the added niacin, iron, thiamine and folic acid - it didn't say "enriched" but it is!

I will write later - didn't realize how much information would come out of 1 ingredient!!

promise will get to the eggs and milk...


5 comments:

  1. Hi Annie!
    WOW! Ambitious & admirable task.
    We've lost touch over the years but here you are writing about my favorite things---cooking, food, fitness & family and I'm the first one to comment!!!! Being a mother of 3 boys like yourself (and one girl) much of my time is spent trying to keep ahead of "I'm hungry" and "What's for dinner". I'll join you in this journey---hopeful that it will not lead us to growing our own food and raising our own cows and chickens!!...I fear that the truth in this quest "hurts" but I am willing to figure out a way to do my job better (with you) for myself and my family. I have lots more to say but gotta run for now! Till next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to hear from you Karen - glad to have you join me - so much to learn about for sure! strap in!!
    take care and can't wait to hear more from you!
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann Marie, This is Beth(Liza)M's sister. We met this summer @ Stu's Fest. Beth just forwarded me your blog site and I am in complete agreement with you. The mass population won't understand unless they are educated on what is REALLY being marketed as "wholesome and nutritious". I often regret giving up Nutrition (my passion) as my major in college and switching to Speech-Language therapy. I have learned that the live grains in Ezekial Bread(Food For Life) are far superior in nutritional value than any flour produced breads. It is heavier but satisifying and full of nutrients,minerals, fiber, flavor and protein. We have three girls and my middle daughter loves the raisin muffins with coconut oil and agave syrup. Often that's the difficult part....to get kids to eat differently than their peers. Keep up the great investigation!! Jennifer Dougherty Bayuzik

    ReplyDelete
  4. so funny- i just posted about sprouted bread!! I must have been reading your mind some how! - Ezekial is a great brand! I just sweetened my coffee with Agave Nectar this morning, trust me, we'll be taking a lot about natural sweeteners! Are the Raisin Muffins your recipe or Ezekial's? Great to hear from you! Nutrition is a great passion to have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Ann Marie!!!
    Last spring, when Dan and I prepared for our competition, we "cleaned out the cupboards"! It really changed the way we feed our entire family. We strive for only the healthiest, pure ingredients. We even started making bread at home...turned out to be very easy and the kids love it! Here is where we got the recipes: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
    Great info you're putting out there!!! Keep up the good work! Spread the health!

    ReplyDelete