Sunday, March 28, 2010

What are you??

Not eating meat and dairy for a while has made me wonder if I'm getting enough B12 in my diet because I thought meat and dairy are the main sources of vitamin B12. B12 is needed for proper red blood cell formation, neurological function and DNA synthesis. The RDA recommends 2.4 mcg a day for ages 14 and up - which is actually pretty easy to get even if you're not eating meat. Symptoms of B12 deficiency include megaloblastic anemia, fatigue, weakness, constipation, loss of appetite and weight loss. I decided to research what I needed to add to my diet to get enough B12 and I realize now that I don't need to eat a steak to get it. Ok, the food with the most B12 is cow's liver with 48.0 mcg per serving, clams have 34.2 mcg and breakfast cereal fortified with 100% DV (Daily Value) for B12 has 6.0 mcg, trout has 5.4 mcg and sockeye salmon has 4.2 mcg. I thought by not eating beef and dairy, I was really missing the B12 boat but a top sirloin steak only has 2.4 mcg and 1 cup of yogurt has only 1.4 mcg per serving. So I'm more than good with my Kellogg's All-Bran with Extra Fiber Cereal ( 24 mcg of B12) and my Rice Milk with added B12 (20%). If you are worried you don't eat enough foods with B12 - a supplement is always a good option too. If you are a strict vegetarian or vegan, it may be wise to get your blood checked and make sure you are getting enough of this essential vitamin.

I just got my copy of Baltimore's Child Magazine and was so glad to read an article called "Vegetarian Deals the Whole Family will Enjoy" by Susan Davis, which talked about three different restaurants in the Baltimore area that offer vegetarian fare for kids as well as grown ups! I have been really trying to get my kids to eat healthy (veggies, fruits, whole grains) - anything but hamburgers, french fries, mac n cheese, hot dogs, pizza (the typical western diet-better known as fried foods, salty snacks and meat). Here is the list:
  1. David's Natural Market in Columbia, Md (www.davidsnaturalmarket.com). It has daily Vegan and Vegetarian specials, with freshly made soups. Also serves cookies, muffins and tea cakes made with unrefined maple, sugars and fruit sweeteners.
  2. Great Sage in Clarksville Md (www.great-sage.com). Has gourmet food made exclusively from plant-based sources and they have gluten-free and raw foods on their menu. They have pepperoni pizza made with naan, tomato sauce, Daiya vegan cheese and soy pepperoni - they also have raw cashew cheese as an option - how great is that?
  3. Soup's On - Mount Vernon, Md (www.soupsonbalto.com). They have all-natural soups with no additives or preservatives as well Vegan soups such as Spicy Carrot with Sweet Pea Puree or Peanut Butter Hot soup.
TAKE AWAY:
I am still on my crazy journey of eating the healthiest foods and deciding what foods I want to eat and what foods I want to avoid. It's not that I "can't" eat certain foods (as my kids often say), I just don't choose to eat certain foods because I don't think they are the best thing for me now and in the long run. Again my goal is to live a long, healthy, disease free life! My mother died of breast cancer, my oldest brother died of heart disease, my sister has high cholesterol and thyroid issues, my dad and other brother have hypertension and the list goes on. As I've said before, I exercise a lot and take good care of the outside of my body - the inside of my body deserves the same amount of time and attention.

I'm often confused of different types of eating styles and who eats, fish, but not dairy and who eats eggs, but not chicken...confusing!! I'm not sure what I am yet - but may be closest to the Macrobiotic diet - who knew!!

Here are some definitions to help us all out:
  • Pescatarian (also spelled pescetarian) - those who don't eat meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Good stepping stone to fully vegetarian diet.
  • Flexitarin/Semi-vegetarian - those who eat mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat
  • Vegetarian - a person who does not eat meat, poultry or fish
  • Lacto-ovo-Vegetarian are those who don't eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish, or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products
  • Lacto-Vegetarians - a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, but eats diary products
  • Ovo-Vegetarian - People who do not eat meat or dairy products, but do eat eggs
  • Vegan - those who don't eat eggs, dairy products, processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients.
  • Raw Vegan/Raw food diet - those who eat unprocessed vegan foods that have notbeen heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit. "Raw foodists" believe that foods cooked above this temp have lost a good amount of their nutritional value.
  • Macrobiotic - a diet designed for its healthy and healing qualities, includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows for the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. The unique part of this diet is its emphasis on eating Asian veggies such as daikon and sea vegetables such as seaweed.
What are you???


No comments:

Post a Comment