Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Raw Foods, Photography, Vegan cafes, Webcasts!

Let me start by saying I really have no health issues (that I know of), I have no allergies (that I'm aware of) and I am not overweight. I say this because so many people that I talked to that are on a "raw foods" diet or are vegan or vegetarian, are doing so because of health issues such as Celiac Disease which is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with the absorption of nutrients from food. People that have this disease cannot tolerate gluten (a protein in wheat, rye and barley). A lot of people have dairy allergies, an extreme case would be wheezing, diarrhea or vomiting. Lactose intolerance is different, these people lack the enzyme to help break down the sugar found in milk for proper digestion. The symptoms of lactose intolerance are bloating, abdominal cramping and diarrhea. Now since I have taken dairy out of my diet (for a while - I'm not saying forever) I have had no bloating which is one issue I have always had - and was never sure why. I have to say since I have taken dairy - as well as chicken and meat out of my diet (for a while) and have eaten WAY more fruit, veggies and whole grains - my trips to the bathroom have been effortless! Constipation was another thing I always had. Needless to say I feel a lot cleaner and slimmer just from no bloating and really regular, easy breezy you know whats.

I went to a "Raw Foods" demo at my friend kimberly's house last night. Kimberly took a few pics, which I'll post (haven't done that yet on my blog). She's a great photographer as well as a raw foods nut and does beautiful portraits - check out her website at www.kimberlyportraits.com. The event was lead by Kendell Reichhart, a holistic health counselor located in Towson, Md. Check out her website at www.naturalvibranthealth.net.

The ironic thing is, about a year ago I was visiting my cousin in the Hamptons (yes it is fabulous there) and was reading their local paper "Hamptons Magazine" and there was an ad for the "Institute for Innovative Nutrition" which is a holistic nutrition education. I called about possibly enrolling, but I would have had to travel to NY on weekends and didn't feel I could pull it off at that time. Kendell got her degree there and just told me I can now do the entire certification all online - who know, I may look back into it.

I am somewhat new to "raw food" recipes. I have used a dehydrator with my neighbor and have made delicious flaxseed bread in the dehydrator (I posted that recipe on one of my previous blogs), I have juiced, but some of the recipes Kendell made I have NEVER done before. Not to mention the "Elements of Life" and "Natural Zing" products she sells/recommends such as Marine Phytoplankton that has Omegas 3, 6, 7, and 9 and 92 trace minerals, or Revitaphi, an alkalizing green powder, plus raw cacoa (chocolate) which I use a lot in my cookie recipes, goji berrie and inca berries. Another ironic thing I just started doing yoga at "LifeLine Power Yoga" with Sid McNairy (a great, challenging flow yoga (www.lifelinepoweryoga.com) and Kendell happens to be in the same building on Allegheny in Towson. Ironic and convenient!

Ok some of the recipes! Green Smoothie - so healthy, I had this morning and had a ton of energy for my 3 fitness classes today! In a blender put in Kale, cucumber, celery, avocado, apple, coconut water, green powder, vanilla protein powder (I think she used brown rice protein powder) and you can add in Spirulina, blue-green algae, hemp seeds, maca....) we'll talk more about those items!

I made this morning with avocado, kale, apple, pomegranate coconut water and hemp protein powder and it was great - I felt so healthy eating all that raw kale and really felt satisfied until lunch!

The raw burritos was something I have never made, brought one home to my husband last night and he loved! The "meat" was 1 cup walnuts (soaked overnight) blended with sun dried tomatoes (soaked for 1 hour), fresh tomatoes, chili powder, 1/4 onion, celtic sea salt, and olive oil. The "sour cream" was 1 cup cashews (soaked for 2+hours), celtic sea salt, 3 tbsp lemon juice - blended until creamy - and she added fresh guacamole and homemade salsa wrapped in a big collard green leaf (as the wrap) - go amazing!!!

Not to mention the raw fudge balls with coconut oil (which I just bought), raw cacao, maca, agave, gogi berries and cocoa nibs....

TAKE AWAY:
On my way out to a preview dinner at (soon to be open) "CAFE GREEN" an organic, vegan restaurant in DC with my new friend that I met at the "Yabba Pot", another vegan cafe in Baltimore. My friend Jimmy is the manager at Cafe Green and he was the producer for "The VideoMakers" a webcast I was in last year. You can check all the episodes of the Video Makers (I play the part of Amanda) on www.thevideomakers.tv or on YouTube key word "The Videomakers".










2 comments:

  1. Hey! The woman i met with sunday was kendall! did the blood analysis and started some supplements...feel totally great already. She is awesome...i learned so much. also, dan and i did a class at lifeline before meeting with her. Loved it! seems like we are on the same wavelength these days. missed you sunday...i am doing the mat 2 certification this weekend..wish me luck! hope to see you soon...love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny the two AM's are on the same path to health and fitness!! Love eating raw foods - let's meet for yoga, a kendall visit and lunch at Zia's. Would love to get some major blood work done as well and see where I stand! Good luck with Mat 2 - I'm doing Advanced Mat thru Power Pilates in May (in annapolis) - great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete