Saturday, April 10, 2010

dining out, recipes, chia seeds!

Hello all, ugh it's been a while, I have been crazy busy, but am back and will keep it short and sweet tonight! Met my cousin this week at "Volt" in Frederick, Md. I am hooked to "Top Chef"on Bravo and loved the last one with the Voltaggio Brothers who were like 1 an 2 in the season finale. They are amazing chefs and one of the brothers, chef Bryan Voltaggio showcases his "classic flavor combinations prepared with fresh local ingredients" at this restaurant located in a 19th century brownstone mansion in historic Frederick with a cool, modern vibe and amazing food! We had the 3 course lunch, they offer a 5 course as well, and loved every fresh ingredient with an artful twist - of course paired with wine! I highly recommend going as soon as you can pull it off - it's not inexpensive, but trust me, it is worth every penny! Let me know if anyone wants to go and I'll join you! Check out their website at www.voltrestaurant.com.

I also got an email today from my wonderful cousin who I met there for lunch about another restaurant called Patowmack Farm. Their website states "from our farm to your table, we offer our guests a rate experience: a distinctive atmosphere, local, organic cuisine and a seat with a view of the Potomac river". They offer certified, naturally grown and organic produce, organic wild and natural meats, sustainable seafood as well as biodynamic wines! Sounds really food to me. Their website is www.patowmackfarm.com.

My vegan/yogi friend Rachel just sent me a great recipe for a "strawberry shortcake pink smoothie" and "Two Kale Cranberry Salad". Here are the recipes - enjoy!

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SMOOTHIE:
  • half med beet
  • 1 large carrot
  • 2ts vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 1/4 cup cashews or almonds
  • 1/4 cup dates
Blend together then add 12 frozen strawberries and blend again.

TWO KALE CRANBERRY SALAD:
  • dinasour kale
  • curly kale
  • crisp tart apples
  • raw walnut
Cranberry dressing:
  • 1 1/2c fresh or reconstituted dried cranberries
  • 3/4 c apple juice
  • 1/4 c pure maple syrup
  • 1/3 c olive oil
  • TBSP dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • salt
  • pepper
blend all ingredients together. Toss 2o minutes before serving.
Both are yum and totally healthy!

TAKE AWAY:
Couple little tidbits I read from one of my fitness magazines:
  1. Goat's milk ice cream called "Laloos's" is made from the milk of goats that freely graze on the hillsides of Sonoma Valley and the farmland near Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin. It's half the fat of premium cow's milk ice cream. It contains less water and more solids which means no added cream is necessary. It also has more minerals (calcium, potassium, magnesium) than cows milk brands and these goats are free of antibiotics and growth hormones. Deep Chocolate, Black Mission Fig and Capraccino are the favorites!
  2. Too much soda, even zero calorie can increase your risk to kidney failure!
  3. Consuming more that 74 grams of fructose per day (about the amount found in 2 chocolate shakes) can raise your risk of stage 2 hypertension. Fructose activates inflammation.
Lastly, not sure I mention Chia Seeds. I just bought a bag called "Ultimate Chialife". It's high in fiber, richest known vegetable source of Omega 3 fatty acids, it has 3x the antioxidants of blueberries, more calcium than milk and more iron than spinach and a better source of protein source than beans or soy.

I put it in my shakes, but you can eat out of the bag - although the seeds are tiny - or you can put on cereal, yogurt or salads or add to baked goods.




No comments:

Post a Comment